Friday, July 8, 2011

Lia's Sad Room...Fabric Collage Tutorial

Before we moved Lia had a small but happy room. I had plenty of decoration to fill up her room and it looked cute. After the move, Lia has a much bigger room and it doesn't look so cute. In an effort to dress up the place I have scoured high and low on the internet to find the perfect things to update her now sad room. Enter the fabric collage.


****This is not an original idea. I found it on Pinterest.com****

Here's how it works...

Gather these materials...
  • Embroidery Hoops: As many as you want in whatever size or sizes. I had these already so they are all the same size. I've seen different sizes and it looks super cool. Caution, if you get a giant hoop, a fat quarter may not fit. You may need to just buy a piece of fabric to fit.
  • Fat Quarters: You can get these at any craft store or even Wal-mart. They are cheap about a dollar apiece. However, if you wait, they may go on sale like mine did. Choose fabrics and colors you like. I did the basic colors with mostly geometric patterns. You need one for every hoop.
  • Scissors
  • Option: Fabric Glue or craft glue that works on fabric and wood such as Tacky Glue
The oh so difficult procedure
  1. Cut the fabric to fit hoop.
  2. Undo hoop, put in fabric with a little overhang.
  3. Glue fabric to inside hoop. I opted not to do this in case I want to change colors.
  4. Trim off excess. Once you trim, that fabric is in there. You can't pull it out and put it back in...it just doesn't work that way!
  5. Hang on wall.
  6. The end.
So can you do it...yes you can! Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie! I'm still deciding where to hang mine up on the wall, so no photo of that yet. I plan to do a before and after of Lia's room. But this is a start. Next project, permanent hanging balloon mobile type thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment