Friday, August 31, 2012

Lia and the dandelion

Yesterday walking to the car, I loaded Jonathan in as usual while Lia came down the steps. When I finished I saw her blowing on a seeded out dandelion. And for a second I thought, "oh great. This will be a fight to the seat." Then I looked at J asleep in his seat, and Lia having such joy with this little flower. I remembered reading about giving your child opportunities to go slow. We were just going to the grocery. Thats it. For the whole day. Why was I hurrying? J was in the car sound asleep with the doors open. He was happy. Lia was happy. So I just waited with her. She couldn't quite blow it hard enough and eventually asked, "mommy do it?" Then we picked three for the car and off we went. It was great. Plus the time I spent enjoying her would have been about equal to the time it would take me to chase her to the car and wrestle her into her seat...all while tears flowed about the dandelion. Sometimes toddler turtle speed is okay...or at least you have to make it okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment